Independence and Buchanan County offers a wide range of health care services. Our physicians and health care professionals are dedicated and experienced. The Buchanan County Health Center offers inpatient, outpatient, and emergency health care and a variety of medical specialists from neighboring cities provide regular outreach clinics.
Four family practice physicians, two general surgeons and several specialists including visiting consultation in Cardiology, Dermatology, Ears Nose & Throat, Gynecology, Nephrology, Neurology, Neuro surgery, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedic, Physical Medicine & Rehab, Podiatry, Pulmonology, Rheumatology, Urology, Women’s Health and Wound Clinic. BCHC also has one full-time nurse practitioner on staff, Dr. Tara McEnany, ARNP.
Modern ED Service staffed by medical professional 24/7. Ambulance Service through Area Ambulance of Buchanan County. Helicopter Service available.
Out-patient Nurse Clinic
Scheduled procedures for wound care and dressing changes, intravenous and injection therapy, catheter care services.
- CGMS, Hematology: Includes Blood Counts, Anemia Checks.
- Coagulation: Includes Protimes (monitoring coumadin or warfarin), other blood clotting factors.
- Drug Screen Collection: Collecting drug screens (both DOT & Non-DOT) for local businesses.
- Serology: Includes influenza testing, mono testing, and pregnancy testing.
- Urinalysis Chemistry: Includes Lipid testing, Anemia Testing, Drug Level Testing, blood Glucose testing, Renal and Liver Function testing.
- Blood Bank: Includes full transfusion service that includes most blood products.
- Pathology: Provided by Weland Labs in Cedar Rapids.
- Electrocardiography: 12 lead EKG’s with over reads done be Mayo Clinic Cardiologists.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: used to continually monitor glucose levels over a 72 hour period in patients with Type 2 diabetes to help with insulin regulation.
Bone Density Testing, CT, Mammography, PAD, Ultrasound, X-ray. NEW! In-house MRI Suite and Digital Mammography. All read by Board Certified Physicians from Radiology Consultants of Iowa
Vascular Imaging, Echocardiology, Neurodiagnostics, EEG, EMG, Neuromotor Evaluation, Nuclear Medicine, MRI
Pool, Gym, Exercise Classes, Corporate Wellness Programs, Personal Training, Metabolic Testing, Swimming Lessons
- Babysitting Clinics
- CPR, First Aid Training & Bloodborne Pathogen Training/ Certifications
- Cardiac Rehab
- Diabetes Education
- Dietary/ Nutritional Assessment Services
- Medication Assistance Program : RX Access helps people afford their brand name prescription medications.
- Dialysis Services: Provided by Davita
- Surgery: Outpatient and Same-day surgery procedures. Specialties include general surgery, ENT, orthopedic, GYN, and Podiatry. Endoscopy services—colonoscopy and gastrosocopy.
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy: Asthma Education and Pulmonary Function testing with diffusion.
- Social Services
- Massage Therapy