Thank you for your interest in relocating to the Independence, Iowa area! In this section you will find helpful resources to make your move as smooth as possible.
Visit our Job Opportunities section
Visit our Education Section
Independence area realtors are happy to help you in your search for a home.
Check out our Real Estate Agent section
Interested in building a home in the Independence area?
Most Independence area realtors’ listings can also be found online at Realtor.com
Change your Address
Submit an official USPS Change of Address Form
- Waste Management
- Independence Light & Power, Telecommunications
- MidAmerican Energy
- East Central Iowa REC
Independence is home to many local chapters of international volunteer organizations as well as local community organizations.
Visit our Social & Civic Organizations section
Subscribe to our Events Calendar to receive updates on upcoming community activities!
Places of Worship
Visit our Church Services page.
Area News Outlets
- KCRG TV-9
- Buchanan 24/7
- Jesup Citizen Herald
- Independence Bulletin Journal
- The News
- KQMG – 95.3 FM
- KMCH – Mix 94.5
Register to Vote
Update Drivers License
Buchanan County Treasurers’ Office
210 5th Ave NE
PO Box 319
Independence, IA 50644
•Motor Vehicle: 319-334-2005
•Driver License: 319-334-7456
The Courthouse is located on Hwy 150 North in the downtown area
•Office Hours: 8:00 – 4:00 | Monday – Friday
•Testing hours for Driver License are 8:00-3:30/Monday-Friday
•Drive test are 8:00-3:15/Tuesday-Thursday by appointment
Distance to Nearby Metro Areas
- Independence to Waterloo: 24 miles
- Independence to Cedar Falls: 29 miles
- Independence to Cedar Rapids: 37 miles
- Independence to Iowa City: 59 miles
- Independence to Dubuque: 61 miles
- Independence to Ames: 94 miles
- Independence to Des Moines: 108 miles
- Independence to Minneapolis: 186 miles
- Independence to Chicago: 218 miles
- Independence to Sioux City: 229 miles
Cost of Living Information
Compared to the rest of the country the cost of living is in Independence is 17.70% lower than the U.S. average.